Sunday, April 18, 2010

Leaf Me Alone

So I can eat in peace.

Adapted from this recipe, which caught my eye a few weeks ago... Stuffed grape leaves, dolma (derived from verb "to stuff") which I eat frequently here, fresh from the market (or sometimes from the can). I envisioned a sweet and sour stuffed leaf with eggplant and ground meat.

Here goes:
(no measurements, sorry)

>cook rice to al dente. set aside.
>saute onion and cubed eggplant in pan with olive oil, salt and white grape vinegar till soft.
>add seasoned ground beef and cinnamon.
>add some sour cherry jam. cook till done, brown, juicy, etc. turn off hot plate.
>add rice to mixture in pan, stir.
>while it settles, rinse ye (hopefully) fresh grape leaves, dry them, and set them shiny side down.


>arrange them, overlapping, and line with some rice mixture.



>roll out (and up)



>this part got weird: place extra rice and a small amount of water in pot, with grape leaves atop to steam / cook and soften the leaves... steady simmer for 20-30 mins (because I made so few). This didn't work so well, I would have preferred to steam them / some double broiler situation somehow but didn't have the right tools.
>to mitigate the awkward, slightly soggy leaves, I placed them in the pot again, drizzled in olive oil, and let them warm on most sides for... 20 mins?
>and they are done. let them cool slightly. eat with a squeeze of lemon.



>much better on day two. would also be better with more oil but I am personally willing to forgo a tablespoon here and there...

This recipe (mine, not the nytimes) could use some revising but considering hotplate situation and general challenges... But overall, I was pleased, will do it again, and maybe even try to follow the actual recipe. maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment