Monday, April 12, 2010

Ketch up

I'm a bit behind...


Chronological Order:


Chinese take-out in Turkey. Definitely lacking in MSG. Rice didn't come with our order. Nor fortune cookie. Nor excessive amounts of food per person; isn't that the whole point? I went for Hot and sour soup and sesame chicken.



Sesame Chicken is definitely different over here -- positive and negative attributes. Warm, moist chicken, so seriously coated in seeds you could trick a bird into eating its own relative. Almost doesn't count as the same dish as the one I am used to (so I don't need to choose a favorite).



What's chinese food without the white box? Do they even use those any more (in favor of plastic, which I must admit I love). I know I sound like an annoying New Yorker, but seriously...

Next, a joke.

In Turkish, the word for cake is pasta. So look at this --

Good right?



Anyway.

I went to Fethiye last weekend, it is on the southern coast, I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone, it is beautiful and amazing. I biked 5km uphill and it was fun but notably strenuous, especially without water on a hot day. These feelings of frustration and exhaustion (coupled with excitement, the view was too much, there were many turtles, and we were headed to a beautiful beach and a deserted town) were dissipated with a lunch of eggplant salad with parsley, tzatziki (with huge hunks of garlic), and a grilled eggplant/yogurt mix (we ordered, perhaps unwisely, but luckily we like yogurt and eggplant a lot). Plus bread and previously mentioned savory turkish crepe with spinach. A lot of water too. This was served at a family run restaurant, where we ate in the shady backyard playing backgammon. Small farms surrounded us, goats and dogs too. It was so good, simple and fresh, I only remembered to photograph after we ate it all. Plus that NYTimes article that makes me never want to photograph my food again (here). So I enjoyed all other meals this weekend whole-heartedly with both hands and no pauses, and they were delicious.





Fethiye bakery, open till 00:00.

Better-than-they-look & better-than-your-average cookies



And some mystery pastries as well.





Every impromptu picnic,



Deserves a "Lapkin".



How to top a weekend in the south, we shall see.

1 comment: