Saturday, November 13, 2010

I like to clean when I need a quick dose of control / accomplishment in my life. I recently realized cooking to be a cousin of this concept, except a little better, or maybe just better in its difference but similarity to the original idea. Not only is it more fun & creative, but you get to happily enjoy your labor with others at the end. So while certainly distinct from cleaning, it is equally worthwhile in this category of self-help mini-projects.

So that is when, last Wednesday night, ground turkey kimchi pancakes came to be. I usually make these pancakes with ground pork but we had ground turkey so I said to myself, 'why not?'. About a pound of ground turkey, a 1/2 cup of flour, 2 eggs, scallions, a good handful of cilantro, thinly sliced red cabbage and about 2 cups of roughly chopped kimchi went into the p-cakes. (This is from memory, use your own judgment...) Fried in olive oil until crispy. I'd say I made at least 20.



Oddly enough, they REALLY tasted like crab or fish. It is quite bizarre but perhaps an achievement! I didn't mind that; they were spicy, soft inside, crisp outside and really delicious, if I do say so myself. And made me want to make them with crab (though I guess that's not necessary).




The full meal turned out to be; the pancakes, home-made pad thai with shrimp (brought by a friend), coconut sushi rice, pork and leek dumplings, cucumber & mango salad, green beans with garlic and ginger -- all doused in lime and ponzu.




How romantic.


No comments:

Post a Comment