Sunday, June 6, 2010

Thessaloniki, Grease (part I)

The food is Greasy.
Greecey.


If you find yourself in Thessaloniki, a coastal city in Greece, birthplace of my BFF Ataturk and Europe's 1997 "Capital of Culture", you will probably be pretty happy. Or so I suspect. While the city is not overwhelmingly beautiful or exciting, it is undeniably charming, manageable, walkable, and wrought with history (a byzantine church hides around every corner). It is also wrought with some pretty delicious food.



So, if you find yourself in the port area of Thessa, find this street where it meets the shore.


Look to the right and see this restaurant. Looks less than desirable, but I thought an image would be good.




I grabbed a table on the side street, partially shaded. No menu. I asked for some fried cod, a tomato salad and a beer.



These came promptly and the fish arrived soon after on a piece of paper.




Thick, crunchy/chewy crust, oily for sure but housed inside was warm, tender, moist, meaty cod.



I usually would have doused this in vinegar, red pepper flakes or anything if I'd be given it--it was nice to just enjoy it as it was, with onions from the salad and a cold beer (not Efes, finally!) to wash it down. And a long walk to follow.

Perfect first lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment