Wednesday, June 9, 2010

respite from thunder

Still in Greece (in this post, not in real life)...

I chose this little lunch spot as droplets started falling. I heard the hum of a TV and saw an elderly lady in an apron in the back and decided it could not be a bad idea.


The menu was completely in Greek, so the chef's son helped me--I expressed a love for eggplants and a desire for the feta and chili pepper spread I saw up front. So, 70 cents for a glass of chilled white barrel wine was enjoyed while I waited. The channel was soon changed to Greek Idol.



Like most Greek food (I learned) the eggplant came fried with tzatziki, the spread was creamy and spicy, and bread was crunchy and ample. The salad was salad.


It definitely wasn't the most stunning meals of my life (but very enjoyable, just being frank)--I wanted to wipe the oil of the eggplants and was cheesed out by the end. But sitting alone in a restaurant, with mother and son speaking Greek, chuckling at wannabe celebs, the open storefront revealing the thunder storm outside... Lunches like that are just another reason I so enjoy meals.

1 comment:

  1. When you left the states, you hated going out for lunch! Sure hope you retain this love for going out to lunch when you return home to me arms!

    ReplyDelete