Sunday, March 21, 2010

Boza Bonanza


Boza. Originating in central Turkey, this ancient drink made of fermented millet is now popular in many eastern European countries. After viewing some Byzantine Churches, we went to check this famous Boza spot out.





Served room temperature from a gorgeous, large marble bowl, Boza is extremely thick, has a mild flavor (lightly sweet), and provides a tingle to the tongue. It has a low alcohol content, explaining why Sultan Ahmet banned it for a number of years during is reign (party killer). Often served with roasted chick peas and a shake of cinnamon (two in my case), it is carb rich and keeps you full and ready to rock. If don't believe me, have a seance and summon Ottoman Empire soldiers. If boza kept them ready for war, why not me?!




Plus, rumor has it that Boza will make your breasts larger AND stimulates milk production... hmm....
I'm sure that's not why Ataturk liked the stuff, and he did, here is his Boza glass!



Versus my own. I wonder if they will encapsulate it too.



Final Verdict: I am always up for ancient foods, I love the vibe from this place (traditional meets disco), I was happy to slurp down one glass, but I probably will not crave it in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment