Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Food is better...



than so many things. Eating it, talking about, thinking about it, watching it, smelling it, etc etc. While I spend time in Istanbul, I wanted to share my culinary trials and tribulations. I don't know how I feeling about "blogging", it's kind of awkward, but I will give it a try. At least it enables me to entertain only those you care to be entertained by my food talk and photos. So here we go--starting with today, and I shall take steps forward and back as days go by.


A simple post-sociology salad. Istanbul has taught me to embrace iceberg lettuce (which is a great blank canvas for all other things complex, made nice and crispy after a soak in cold water) and parsley (they serve a nice handful with almost any authentic Turkish dish). So, add some incredibly creamy white cheese (feta, almost, details to come soon), chopped stuffed grape leaves (from a can, but, you would never know it), the oil from that can (extra flavor always welcome), chopped red onion, canned corn (another new best friend for life), a big squeeze of lemon, a medley of spices from the bazaar (Malatya Pazara is the best spice/dried fruit/tea/tdl (not tasti d lite, turkish d lite!)) (their version of red chili flakes (more flavor than heat, though definitely hot), oregano, and sumak. A splash of balsamic to seal the deal.


You bet I had two bowls--second one with dried, roasted chickpeas on top. Got to make it through self defense class later...



Lunches have been a joy, as they rarely fail to be, and there will be so much more to say about them, but another favorite was this;


Grilled sausage (average, simple links), fresh tomato, onion, and the red pepper mentioned above. Then roughly half a loaf of bread was rubbed in the sausage juice and warmed just a bit. Then the monster was handed to me for the lovely price of 5TL ($3.5).

It came from here;

And it was enjoyed here;


The banks of the Bosphorus, in Bebek. Everything tastes a little better there by default...
I can't wait to get another. The half onion that went into still lingers in my mouth, nearly two weeks later. In a good way.



I can't resist mentioning one final lunch.

I had an empty day, finally sunny, so I found my way to a neighborhood on the northern banks of the gold horn. There is a fish market there, as well as a number of small restaurants and stands selling the fresh seafood.


Not the best photo, but you get the idea.

So, I found my spot, vaguely communicated to the waiter my desire for a grilled fresh fish, and sat, read, waited, watched the activity on the Golden Horn (fishing boats, fishermen, the sun, etc). Water came, lots of bread came, a mixed salad came (lettuce, tomatoes, cabbage, lemon, parsley). I saved half of it to decorate the fish with because I personally love combination bites. Then she arrived, without a word.




And left with a little less to say.





Lemony, salty, peppery, charred. I would have gone for the hot red pepper that I love so dearly but wasn't sure how to say it, I'm working on that. But still, 10 out of 10. A little cup of black tea and I was ready to press on.


and on that note, iyi gunler.

No comments:

Post a Comment