Thursday, February 25, 2010

Eat to Learn

Pre-four consecutive hours of class, one (Lily) requires ample sustenance. So, after leaving the creepy library I headed out in search of a kebap, maybe some doner... anything meaty and Turkish. With only t-20, I was not so successful so I settled for something I do not, and did not, know the name of. I entered a small, underground shop, crowded with young schoolboys who were "sshhhh'd" upon my entry. I was handed this, thing, and I ordered an Ayran to wash it down. Then I stopped into a nearby bakery to acquire something sweet and nutty so I could truly stay energized and academically on point with my international 'friends' and classmates. Here is the sum of all (p)arts.



My impressions are as follows:

1. The "wrap".



Not encased in your average american wrapper, this guy is much doughier. It's just better, not so dry, and it doesn't have pointless bubbles. This is spread with some mysterious mixture (bulgar, maybe raisins, tomato paste, spices and probably more things I could not decipher). This paste is sprinkled with lemon juice, some lettuce and tomato is added, and it is neatly rolled. A highly portable choice. Didn't drive me wild--I would have gone for more vegetables, more spice, etc... But there is only one way to find these things out. By trying.

2. Ayran.



My new favorite beverage. It is a drink made of yogurt, water and salt. I hear that sometimes they add cucumber / mint / dill / garlic and such to flavor it when it is made fresh (can't wait to try that). The salt was originally to preserve the yogurt but I guess they just decided to drink it. It is perfect with spicy food, cuts through like a samurai's sword to provide relief to your burning tongue. Thin enough to quench, thick enough to confuse, and just the right amount of salt...

3. Baklava.



I'm not going to explain it because I bet you know. But here, even your average bakery's bak is flakier than anything. Dripping with honey. Chunkier nuts. Sometimes the baklava is made with goat's milk cream, lending an undeniably four-legged taste. This could, understandably, not be appreciated by all persons, but the regular version is always available, in like 19 different types. This bak wasn't the best I've had here but certainly quite enjoyable. Also, when it got too sweet, ayran was there to save the day.

4. Fig-n-nut Ball

It's essence cannot be captured digitally, but this is seriously my new bff. Golf ball size, apricot weight -- this is pure fig n' walnut ecstasy. Not too sweet, perfect big crunch on nut pieces, small crunch on fig seeds, texture of cookie dough. Fools your mind but not your heart. Must have more.


5. The real dessert?


waaaay to sweet.



No comments:

Post a Comment