Monday, May 24, 2010

Destination Dining

Yusuf Usta'nin Yeri in Bostanci. I'd read about it in a few places, praised for being a great neighborhood spot with incredible kebaps. So a few friends and I went to check it out. Bostanci is a neighborhood about... 20 minutes away from Kadikoy (so its a bit outside of my normal sphere), but I was glad to adventure there, via bus, then ferry, then cab. But it was definitely worth the trek, to find both the neighborhood and the food. The restaurant was set halfway below street level, with tables both inside and out, and (I'm pretty sure), no other americans. It's a good thing we brought a turkish friend along.
Our selection of Mezes out of a pool of about 6 (nice to not be overwhelmed with 12 or 20, as usual); hummus, baba, and Cacık (Turkish tzatziki), served with lettuce.


My plate: with mini-pide, mini-lahmacun, lettuce and sumak'd onions.



My choice (of two, no menu) -- charred, grilled liver, tomatoes, and hot peppers. The other option was an adana kebap, a specialty of Adana (it is spicier than the usual kebap).



Served with a bowl of cumin for sprinkling. That I loved. The liver... it was good. I think that an appetizer serving might have suited me better, some of the pieces were a little dry or too big while some were small, crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside, and held their grilled taste perfectly, as most Turkish food does.


They serve the meal with arugula, a definite plus.



& the perfect dessert for this awesome meal? tart green plums (eat with a sprinkle of salt) and strawberries with powdered sugar.


If you got the time, give some to this place. And maybe stick with the Adana kebap, unless you have a certain penchant for liver or a good friend to "do business" with (that means share).

Eminali Paşa Cad, No:63/5, Bostancı, Istanbul

No comments:

Post a Comment